07 November 2007

Only Connect

Question of the Day: Describe your discoveries. What tool did you choose? What did you like or dislike about it? What were the site's useful features? Can you see how these applications could be used in a library setting?

Wow! There were some sites included in the 2.0 directory I did not think of as Web 2.0. Here are some of the ones that I found interesting:

GoogleDocs - http://www.google.com/: Love it! I can see all sorts of uses for it, but would not want to rely on it for my personal files, because of privacy concerns such as written about recently in The New York Times.

Craig's List Fort Myers - http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/: This is a great site that I hadn't looked at for awhile. Talk about connectivity!

Pandora - http://www.pandora.com/: This site calls itself "The Music Genome Project." The creators have examinted the music universe and will help you find the music that stirs your soul.

Threads - http://www.threadless.com/: Confusing--what are they about? After noodling around, I would guess T-shirts. Not interested.

Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/: I was already aware of this site. My daughter and an artist friend of hers have sold stuff here. Think I'll come back later and do some Christmas shopping. Great way to connect artisans and customers!

Zillow - http://www.zillow.com/: Interesting real estate site. I wouldn't bet the farm on their values--yet. I'm sure as this database matures, accuracy will improve. Fun!

I think my name for my blog was apt. Web 2.0 is all about connectivity--to people, places, and things. "Only connect," as Forster tells us in one of my favorite novels, A Room With a View.

No comments: