03 October 2007

Feed Me

Questions of the day: What do you like about RSS and newsreaders? How might this technology be used in your work or personal life? How can libraries use RSS and benefit from this technology?

Before I begin, I must thank my co-worker Tim for his help with RSS. I confess I had some trouble at first. I finally did set up a Bloglines account, but I switched to Google Reader which I find much better designed and easier to use.

I was vaguely familiar with the concept of newsreaders before we began this exercise, but I had not used one previously. They are a very efficient way to keep on top of news and blogs that you otherwise miss; however, I can also see how newsreaders could become a time-sucking black hole. It's a tool, and we must be its master.

I have added a few of my favorite personal feeds--the New York Times, Slate, Salon--to Google Reader already. I have also added my daughter's university and city newspapers, so I can keep up with her world. And for my professional reading, I will add a few more links such as the New York Times Review of Books, so I can keep up with what's happening in the literary universe.

I can see all sorts of possibilities for RSSs. Libraries could have a feed for their patrons that would push news about new books, library programs, and other news of interest. RSS technology is just another tool of connectivity.

No comments: